Thursday, August 13, 2009

 
Camp Klecker & Dubai 07252009

Got packed last night, so all I had to do is set my alarm for 0610. Got up, showered and dressed and went to the bus stop. On the way, I found my backpack was a bit too stuffed with my Crocs, so I put those into the conex that was taking everyone else's stuff. With a 90% backpack, we hung around until a bit after seven. We rode to Baghdad civilian airport, went through a few security checks, then finally inside. Some waiting, I drank a Diet Pepsi that I stashed, and got on the plane for Dubai. Things were better here. The airport officials all wear white robes, looking a bit civilian. Got cleared through passport control and found a taxi to my hotel. $20 later, I got to the Flora Creek Hotel Apartments. A very nice palce to stay- big one room with a small kitchen and an adequate bathtub. Also a washer/dryer, so I washed my dirty clothes. On the airplane, I kept smelling some bad body odor. I realized that bad smell was coming from me. Apparently I didn't wash my new shirt well enough and it carried some stench in its fibers. I was very happy to put it to wash, even though I didn't understand how to work the machine. The thing has been going for something like six hours and it's not quite done yet. 'Tis eight PM local time. At ten, I've gotta leave, so I'll let it keep going until I have to leave, then I'll either take my dry clothes and pack them or take my damp clothes and pack them.

The hotel has a good TV and lots of channels. I forgot what haji TV can be like. I came into “ET the Extra Terrestrial” with a baby Drew Barrymore and a good story with Elliot and ET. I enjoyed watching this movie a lot. When I get home, and I maybe get a new HDTV, I'd like to get this movie on BlueRay and watch it with Richie, who might remember this movie through some very young eyes.

Now that I've enjoyed this, I'm thinking that I might try to get a dish and park it on top of my hooch so I can watch haji TV from Bucca. But that's grist for next month's mill.

Fox Movies is now showing “Dungeons and Dragons,” a movie that has heretofore escaped my attention. It likely will not be memorable because I think I have about an hour and a half before I go downstairs and check out. The staff here is Filipino and they're very good but a bit slow. So I won't wait until the last minute to get myself ready.

I ordered a room service hamburger, carefully noting that it came with “beef bacon.” 'Twas satisfactory, but not really up to Oakland Grill standards. I'm also thinking of one more quick shower and a shave since it'll be 24 hours till I get another. Would it make a big difference if I went 24 hours or 30 hours between showers? Probably not. But I'm still clean, so rinsing my slightly-funky body might not be necessary. However, a warm shower feels very good. A clean shave would make me feel better, even if the results aren't entirely necessary.

Some good special effects in this movie, though it's a bit over the top in depicting evil, evil lords, and quasi-medieval style. Well, maybe a minute or two longer, then I'll take that shower.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?