Friday, February 13, 2009

 

Umm Qasr 02092009

Slept in a bit, watched an English-language program, “France 24,” on one of the channels I found through surfing. Sarkozy is in Baghdad today on an unannounced visit. Australia is trying to find some arsonists who may have set fires in Victoria. Israel is voting today. Iran is celebrating 30 years since the Khomeni uprising. All in all, this is a pretty good news channel. And if the news reader is a pretty blonde with a classy British accent, who’s to find fault with that?

As I was waking up, in my mind I was writing more in my “Make yourself comfortable” story. Like many dreams, this one’s details faded as I awoke. However, I recall that my small son was candid and my ex was desperately balancing contrition with knee-jerk nastiness with me. One part of her wanted to apologize for her behavior but another part couldn’t admit to anything wrong, ever. If I could get the feeling of this conversation back, it would be good reading.
I wrote more, in an ongoing series called “For Me” because the series is, as the discerning reader can easily discern, for me. The germ of today’s “For Me” was that small part about writing, dreaming, writing while dreaming and dreaming of writing.

Went to check emails then had lunch. Emails included two from the useless POS that’s sitting in for Blaine. Lunch was good- spaghetti, brussel sprouts and watermelon for dessert. In 40 minutes, I’ll walk to the helipad and meet the group going to the port.

Just now, a Merlin flew over my hooch, landing at the helipad 50 meters away. With the window open for ventilation, I got a lot of noise from the monstrous motors holding up the helicopter. By the time I got to the window, sliding it shut, I was standing in a small sandstorm blowing in from the rotor wash. Hoo boy! Dat one big ol’ buncha helicopter and tons of sand out there!
1730 – At our regular 1600 meeting, the Major said he’d been talking with our Basrah Colonel and someone was making noises about sending this detachment to a land border site. More rumbles about getting another BEA for this site but the one guy in Basrah ended up in Baghdad. All these noises are the result of a VIP visit – something to do with possible Japanese investment in this port.

At 1600, I was in the smoke pit when a Merlin flew so low I could see the gunner and waved to him. The helo blew down our cammo netting and sent an aluminum chair into me. Heskette was with me, so I picked her up but she got antsy so I set her down.

Tomorrow the team will go to Bucca at 0830. I offered to stay back with the major so he could get some info on the political situation in the port. He said he doesn’t need me so I’ll stay back. If the weather holds up, I’ll go for chow soon, then maybe emails and at 1900, I’ll try for one more cigar at the smoke pit.

2400 – 448 wins out of 871 games and still stuck at 51%. Maybe tomorrow?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?