Saturday, January 17, 2009

 

The Three-Footed Noble Cat


The three-footed cat under our office trailer
The team went to Camp Bucca for more out-processing and a mail run. I opted to stay back. Did some internet work, posted a blog entry with photos. At lunch, Al told me I had a parcel from the mail run. I went to the office to see if it were there. Just outside the office is a pile of lumber and shelving that someone left there. Going up the steps, I looked to the left and saw an orange cat. I kept going inside, not wanting to make him skittish. But I took out my camera, turned it on and came back to the doorway. About ten feet away was the cat above. I am used to seeing grey cats, and havin seen only one orange cat, I thought this one was remarkable.

This guy looked at me, as if I had disturbed his siesta in the Umm Qasr sun. He had been sunning himself, enjoying the warmth of the sun after last night’s below-freezing weather.

I concentrated on getting the focus and composition. I talked to him a bit, but in a couple of seconds, he got skittish and got up. As he stood up and moved under the trailer, I saw clearly that he is missing his right rear foot. I think he can put some weight on the stump, but seems to hop with his back left foot instead of striding on the stump.

I could see that, though ambulatory, he isn’t up to catching his own food. I went to my hooch and got my stash of sandwich-sliced chicken from the still-cool fridge (‘tis been unplugged since yesterday because my power strip died and the replacement hasn’t got enough outlets), cut off the bottom of another water bottle and took it to him. Before I got too close, I bent down and saw a large orange shape under the trailer, kind of motionless. Slowly and quietly (but not silently) I took the food to where I saw him hiding under the trailer. I told him I hoped this would be good for him. I’m sure he didn’t understand the words but I wanted him to associate my voice with something edible.

I left the food there and came back to my hooch. I don’t think I’m an emotional guy but I felt bad to see this cat trying to survive with only three feet. If he ventures outside our compound, he won’t be able to run away from the packs of dogs that are out there. Sandbag, our compound dog, seems OK with cats. And he eats well enough that he doesn’t have to hunt cats for food. But the other dogs may.

I’ve been leaving food and water in the bunker outside my hooch most nights. Most mornings, it’s gone. Now I may take an extra few steps and leave it under the office trailer where it should be unnoticed.

I wonder about this guy. In looking at his photo, I didn’t notice that grey spot on his back. Is that a bruise or a smudge of oil? He’s pretty big as cats go. And to have survived long enough to be a big cat, he has to have some smarts and abilities. I reckon he’s also had some bad luck because he’s missing his right rear foot. Did he get run over by a car? Did a dog bite his leg off? I can’t imagine he’d lose it in a fight with another cat, so I guess he’s had some serious events in his life.
I hope he comes back. Hope he didn’t run away when I put his food there. Heskette does pretty well at the NAAFI smoke pit but this guy could use some thumb-people help.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?