Thursday, July 10, 2008

 

Heat and Alembic

Today we got trained on improvised explosives and the operation of Humvees. Both training sessions were conducted by soldiers who are really young. I see children with guns. But they're all decent. Something about the military makes better people. I can't put my finger on what it is, but these are all great young people. I want to refer to them as "kids," but they are too competent and deserve a better label.

Now for the details: After some classroom stuff, we boarded a bus and rode through Baghdad's hot, dusty air to a different part of the city. The sun burned overhead, the breeze cooled a wee bit, but picked up the extremely fine Baghdad dust so we were like in a flour warehouse, full of fine dust that makes your teeth gritty and sticks to your face like talcum powder. The heat occupies your attention. Your brain goes to your immediate condition- sweat running into your eyes and down your back; where's that liter of water?

The EOD guys showed us the latest in improvised explosives. Shaped charges that create a stream of plasma can cut through almost anything, including armor. PVC pipes and propane tanks look harmless enough until someone rigs them with high explosives or even home-made ANFO. (Remember, the Oklahoma bombing was done with ANFO.)

We got to look at their tracked robots. Very clever little gizmos. They didn't actually drive them for us, but we got to touch them and ask questions. Later on, I talked with the 20-something sergeant who briefed us. He's a great kid, someone I'd be proud to have in my family.

We broke for lunch, then the delayed Humvees from yesterday showed up. Again, the young soldiers were terrific- knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. They showed us where passengers sit, but also showed us how to operate the driver's and navigator's equipment. Honestly, I think this is beyond me, though I might be able to drive one. The other stuff is too techy for geezers like me. One uf us climbed up into the gunner's perch, but we won't be there for real. We're passengers, period.

The Humvee operators are, again, very young and very capable. I hadn't thought much about the individuals who are stationed here, fighting a not-too-popular war. But they are the best anyone could ask for. Yeah, being patriotic is often regarded as foolish and backward, the venue of old soldiers who reminisce about "Dub-ya Dub-ya Eye Eye" and appear in our consciousness only at Veteran's Day spaghetti feeds at the local VFW building. But I can't avoid being proud of the things these guys (not "kids") are doing for me. I am a lot more appreciative of their efforts.

Thus I think more of these young people after today than I did before. Is this some sort of event an alembic? Sure. But it's very appropriate.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?